Plant-Based French Onion Soup
What You'll Need
- 4 yellow onions thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup red wine (I used a Pinot, any dry red wine will do)
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- Peel and thinly slice all onions. In dutch oven or heavy bottom stock pot add in olive oil on medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in thinly sliced onions to olive oil and stir well. Reduce heat to medium low. Turn onions in pan every 5-10 minutes. The heat should be high enough to break down the onions but not burn them. This process will take 30-40 minutes for the onions to be totally caramelized. About 30 minutes in add in granulated sugar, this will help speed up the browning process.
- Once the onions have caramelized, stir in red wine, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until most of the wine has evaporated.
- Add in bay leaves, thyme sprigs, and vegetable stock. Stir together and bring mixture to a slow simmer.
- Cook for 20-30 minutes on low to allow the flavor to develop a bit longer.